Batteries Designed For Heavy-Duty Electric Vehicles
Proterra batteries are purpose-built for commercial applications, proven on the road through more than 8 million miles in service in heavy-duty applications for mass transit. Designed from the cell level up for commercial usage, Proterra batteries have industry-leading energy density for maximum range, a flexible design to fit within a wide variety of vehicles, and a ruggedized commercial grade housing to withstand harsh environments. Designed and manufactured in Proterra’s Silicon Valley battery manufacturing facility by the best minds in battery engineering, Proterra battery systems are compact, safe and powerful.
- Active thermal management software ensures optimal charging and operation
- Energy reserve dynamically adjusts over time for maximum performance
- Sensors throughout pack deliver continuous monitoring and diagnostics for faster service
Safe & Durable
- Battery pack is made of strong and lightweight ballistic-grade materials that can withstand the toughest conditions
- Manufactured with safety mechanisms built directly into the battery architecture
- Subjected to rigorous vehicle testing and validation programs
- Compact, dense design enables industry-leading energy density, by volume and mass
- Efficient energy storage enables record-breaking range capabilities
- Thermally-controlled batteries keep the temperature consistent to maximize lifetime in any climate
Flexible, Modular Battery Pack Design
A modular design enables customizable battery pack dimensions that can easily be configured to megawatt-hour scale systems that fit within a variety of heavy-duty vehicle platforms. Proterra batteries aren’t just scalable in size – they can also support different vehicle voltages all the way up to 1250 V for maximum power. Our flexible design enables Proterra EV batteries to be the best choice for commercial vehicles, from transit buses to trucks, delivery vehicles, construction equipment, and more.
Rigorous Battery Testing For Highest Safety Standards
Battery Reuse and Recycling
After coming to the end of their useful life in a vehicle, Proterra batteries still retain a significant amount of energy that can be used in second-life applications like stationary energy storage, before the batteries are eventually recycled. Proterra batteries are made with second-life applications and recycling in mind, with pack architecture that allows for a stackable design in storage systems and materials suited for harsh outdoor environmental conditions.
The Proterra battery pack and module architecture also allows for easy separation of components for recycling purposes, allowing for 100% of aluminum used in the battery pack to be recycled. Instead of sending batteries to a hazardous waste incinerator, Proterra works with top-tier recycling companies that specialize in extracting and repurposing materials inside lithium-ion automotive batteries, recovering 99% of precious metals used in Proterra batteries.